|“||Our desire for a father blinded us to the family we already have.||”|
He is a warlock that resides in the town of Greendale, located on the opposite side of the Sweetwater River from Riverdale. Due to a binding spell, he had been trapped in Spellman Mortuary for 75 years until being released by Father Blackwood.
Ambrose is an old warlock who moved from university to university seeking comfort in a father figure after the witch hunters killed his father. At the age of seventeen, Ambrose published his first poetry collection. In the late 19th century, Ambrose met a young Aleister Crowley and became one of his followers. Fascinated by revolutionary and controversial ideas, Ambrose and unknown accomplices attempted to blow up the Vatican. Ambrose was the only witch to be arrested among all the culprits. Although he was offered incolumity in exchange for the names of his accomplices, Ambrose did not betray the cause and for that reason was confined to the Spellman Mortuary with a binding spell. Since then, he began working as a mortician there, coping his depression and loneliness with sarcasm, jokes and family affection.
Ambrose is an old British witch of African descent. Despite his age, he appears as a muscular young man in his twenties. Because he is trapped in the house by a curse, Ambrose is more often than not barefoot and wearing trousers and a silk robe on a bare chest. When working in the embalming chamber, Ambrose wears goggles, rubber gloves, and an apron to protect himself from blood and other fluids while working on corpses. In the rare occasions when Ambrose left the house, he wore a velvet blazer, shirt, pants, and Chelsea boots.
Ambrose is a sagacious and witty man who is always ready to assist and advise Sabrina in her teenage witch dramas. Although Ambrose enjoys taking part in hexing people or indulging his own lust with other witches of both sexes, he is also a learned witch who has personally experienced the price to pay for breaking Witch-Law. Ambrose's knowledge of witchcraft spans many occult disciplines and practices, including exorcisms and necromancy. Because he is confined to the home, Ambrose has slowly developed a form of depression fueled by a sense of loneliness and isolation that has become clear during the attack of Batibat, a sleep demon, at the Spellman house.
Powers and Abilities
- Spell Casting: The power to change and control events through the use of incantations, commands, or even gestures.
- Necromancy: The power to control, manipulate, and resurrect the dead.
- Astral Projection: The power to project their astral form from their body, essentially becoming a ghost.
- Containment: The power to contain a being in a given area.
- Atmokinesis: The power to control the weather.
- Warding: The power to place protection spells and wards on places and people, shielding them from harm.
- Remote Teleportation: The power to move a person from one location to another.
- Teleportation: The power to teleport from one location to another without occupying the space in between.
- Longevity: As a full warlock, Ambrose ages at a slower rate than mortals. Ambrose is stated to be over 75 years old.
- The name Ambrose is an English baby name. In English, the meaning of the name Ambrose is Immortal.